Renewable energy is growing, and with that comes the opportunity to boost the economy of countries manufacturing components for wind turbines.
To date the UK has installed almost 10 gigawatts of wind power capacity offshore, and the Government plans to bring that figure up to 40 gigawatts, the amount needed to provide clean power to every home in the UK by 2030. This means installing a whopping 8,000 wind turbines in less than 10 years.
This drive has the potential to boost jobs, and the economy, especially if UK companies are earmarked to produce components as well supply the labour.
Composite Spar Cap Production in the UK
Pultrex is the leading manufacturer of Pultrusion Machinery and has developed the cutting edge technology behind manufacturing composite Spar Caps for Wind Turbines. The result is a cost-effective, low-carbon solution for wind turbine production with a firm focus on reliability and performance.
- Pultruded profiles are lightweight but can withstand high loads.
- Huge lengths of profiles can be made to a consistent high quality.
- The high tensile nature of the the pultrusion process reduces the occurrence of fibre undulations – resulting in increased efficiency and longevity of the wind turbine.
- The high speed process of pultrusion yields a high rate of productivity.
- Pultrex pultrusion machines can operate 24 hours a day, every day.
- High quality control in Pultrex’s pultrusion machines means that defect events can be almost entirely eliminated.
Composite Vs Steel for Wind Turbine Infrastructure
Pultrusion can also be used to manufacture composite rebar, a longer lasting and more sustainable alternative to structural steel, for use in other parts of wind turbine production, such as turbine foundations and infrastructure upgrades.
- Corrosion resistant
- Highly durable
- No electrical conductivity
- Higher chemical resistance
- Easier handling and transport
The high quality of Pultrex machinery backed by a globally respected support service makes us the number one choice in the UK for providing low-carbon technology for off-shore wind turbine production.
Pultrex HQ is in Manningtree in the South-East of the UK, supplying Pultrusion Machinery to manufacturers in the UK and worldwide. To find out more about how Pultrex can help your company find its place in the renewables sector, contact the team on 01206 395 559.
Discover more about how pultruded rebar can cut the cost of corrosion in construction.